Jollof Rice with Beef and Beans
Preparation: 10 min. Cooking: 75 min.
Total: 85 min.
- 1/2 lb boneless beef stew meat, cut into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped and divided
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp coriander seed, ground
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 Tbsp crushed red pepper
- 2-1/2 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cans (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp salt
Cook meat in oil in large pot over medium-high heat until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Stir in half the onion and the tomato paste, coriander, cumin, and garlic powder. Cook over low heat until onion is tender, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Process remaining onion, tomatoes, and red pepper in food processor until smooth. Stir into beef mixture. Stir in broth and heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes. Stir in rice, beans, and salt. Simmer until rice and meat are tender, about 20 minutes longer.
Courtesy: American Dry Bean Board