Preparation: 10 min. Cooking: 40 min.
Total: 50 min.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cans Italian style peeled tomatoes, chopped, with juice reserved
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or water
- 1/4 cup chili powder, more if desired
- 1 Tbsp masa harina, or cornmeal
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne, more if desired
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 oz frozen corn, thawed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, canned or fresh, seeded and chopped (wear rubber gloves)
Heat oil in a heavy non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic 5 minutes or until softened. Add next 9 ingredients. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium low and simmer 15 minutes. Add beans and corn and simmer another 20-30 minutes, adding additional stock or water if chili becomes too thick. Stir in jalapeño pepper just before serving.