Mediterranean Bean Ragout
Preparation: 10 min. Cooking: 30 min.
Total: 40 min.
- 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into .75 in. pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 eggplant, cut into .75 in. pieces
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can Italian style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) navy beans, or Great Northern beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) red beans, or light red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, toasted
Cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat in large sauce pan until browned about 5 minutes; remove from pan. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and vegetables, garlic, and ginger root to pan; sauté 5-8 minutes until tender. Stir in flour and herbs; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, and beans; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer , covered, until chicken and eggplant are tender, 10-15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper; discard bay leaf. Serve in bowls; garnish with raisins and almonds.
You can prepare this recipe 1-2 days in advance; refrigerate covered.
Courtesy American Dry Bean Board.