Italian Bean and Tuna Salad
Preparation: 15 min. Cooking: 0 min.
Total: 15 min.
- 1 lb canned baby lima beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 lb canned dark red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 can Great Northern beans, rinsed, drained
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut into fourths
- 1/2 small cucumber, cut lengthwise into halves, seeded, sliced
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup tarragon wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
- 3 Tbsp plain low fat yogurt, or sour cream
- 1-1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1-1/2 Tbsp water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb tuna steak, broiled or grilled, or canned white tuna in water, drained, flaked into small pieces
- 8 large lettuce leaves
- 4 basil sprigs, or parsley sprigs
Combine beans, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, and onion in large bowl. Add the next 8 ingredients (basil vinaigrette) and toss. Refrigerate mixture at least 4 hours for flavors to blend, stirring mixture occasionally. Add tuna to mixture 1 to 2 hours before serving. Spoon salad onto lettuce-lined plate; garnish with basil.
You can make the bean salad one day in advance and refrigerate, adding tuna 1 to 2 hours before serving.
Courtesy American Dry Bean Board.