If you or someone in your home suffers from celiac disease or has gluten or wheat intolerance, shopping for your grocery needs will be easier at Brookhaven Marketplace. We are serious about our concern for customers suffering from food allergies and those needing to avoid food allergens. One such allergen which can prove harmful to a certain and ever growing portion of the population is gluten. Gluten can be found in most breads, pastas, cookies, cakes and snacks, and other dough based foods.
The prefix of the term "gluten" gives away its definition. Think of gluten as a glue-like substance that gives wheat and other products their chewy structure. Although the science is much more complex than the definition, gluten can be defined, in lay terms, as the sticky protein substance in wheat. In people with celiac disease, gliadin, a glycoprotein found in gluten, attacks the small intestine lining and causes damage to the tiny villi, which absorb nutrients. As a result of the body's inability to take in enough vitamins and minerals, autoimmune disorders can arise. What Brookhaven Marketplace has done to help!
Be sure to visit our Gluten Free Specials for this month! Click Here
- In our Burr Ridge store we maintain a large dedicated grocery section containing exclusively gluten-free products.
- In all stores we carry an extensive line of Boar’s Head™ meats, cheese, and condiments and the entire line is gluten-free.
- To assure customers that no cross contamination will occur when ordering Boar’s Head™ products the deli departments each have two dedicated slicers that are only used for Boar’s Head products.
- Throughout our food sections watch for Gluten-Free shelf tags that help you quickly identify food items that are gluten-free.
- Our Bakery in the Burr Ridge store carries an assortment of gluten-free items created in the Sweet Ali’s™ of Hinsdale gluten-free bakery. The next time you need a special occasion gluten-free cake, visit or call our Burr Ridge bakery and we can fill your needs.